Verizon to offer $30 ‘limited’ Unlimited iPhone data plan
SOURCES: TUAW, iLounge, USA Today, Ars Technica, AppleInsider, The Loop, Mac Stories, MacRumors, into Mobile, iPhoneHacks, CultofMac, The iPhone Blog, Boy Genius Report, Redmond Pie, 9 to 5 Mac.
It’s official fans … Verizon is definitely going to offer iPhone buyers a $30 unlimited data plan. The carrier’s heir apparent and chief operating officer, Lowell McAdam, told us the news ahead of the company’s meeting with investors. The only caveat here is that this unlimited offering may be for a limited time only. In other words, this offer may only apply to early adopters of Verizon’s newest smartphone.
“I’m not going to shoot myself in the foot,” he said.
Not offering an unlimited plan would put up a barrier for customers who might otherwise switch from AT&T, he said. The country’s No. 2 carrier still has millions of subscribers grandfathered into unlimited plans they signed up for before AT&T switched to tiered pricing last summer.
Mr. McAdam certainly doesn’t want to miss out on any sales now. Anticipation Verizon would soon offer the iPhone held back sales over the fourth quarter, he said. Analysts seemed happy with the subscriber growth, but McAdam wasn’t.
“It wasn’t what I hoped it would be,” he said.
Update: But you’d better act fast. Speaking later Tuesday morning, Mr. McAdam said the iPhone unlimited plan will be a temporary offer and that the carrier will follow AT&T’s move to tiered pricing in the not-too-distant future. (You knew it was too good to be true.)
[TUAW] Verizon will offer a $30 unlimited data plan, the Wall Street Journal confirmed this morning, similar to the original plan that AT&T offered when the iPhone was originally introduced.
[iLounge] Update: McAdam has clarified that the iPhone unlimited data plan will be a temporary offer and said that Verizon will move to tiered data pricing for the iPhone in the “not too distant future”.
[USA Today] The data plan, reportedly revealed by COO Lowell McAdam prior to a company meeting with investors, will cost $30 and be available for a limited time.
[Ars Technica] The speculation that Verizon would roll out an unlimited plan for the iPhone started just days before the carrier’s announcement that it would begin offering the device next month.
[AppleInsider] He revealed that his company intends to follow in rival AT&T’s footsteps and adopt a tiered pricing structure.
- WSJ: Verizon Confirms $30 Unlimited Data Plan – for Now (TUAW)
- News: Verizon Confirms $30 Unlimited Data Plan for iPhone (Updated) (iLounge)
- Report: Verizon to Offer Unlimited Data Plans With iPhone (USA Today)
- Verizon iPhones to Come With $30 Unlimited Data Option-for Now (Ars Technica)
- Verizon Exec Says Unlimited iPhone Data Plans Available for a Limited Time (AppleInsider)
- Verizon to Offer iPhone Users Unlimited Data Plan (The Loop)
- Verizon iPhone Will Have $30 Unlimited Option: Bon Appetit [Update] (Mac Stories)
- Verizon to Offer iPhone With $30 Unlimited Data Plan [Updated] (MacRumors)
- Verizon iPhone to Get Unlimited Data Plan, but Only for a Limited Time! (into Mobile)
- Verizon to Offer Unlimited Data Plan to iPhone Customers (iPhoneHacks)
- Not So Fast: Verizon’s Unlimited $30 Data Plans Are Temporary (CultofMac)
- Verizon Confirms $30 Unlimited iPhone Data Plan – for Now (The iPhone Blog)
- Verizon CEO Confirms $30 Unlimited Data Plan for iPhone 4 [Updated] (Boy Genius Report)
- Verizon to Offer iPhone Owners Unlimited Data for $30 (Redmond Pie)
- Verizon to Offer $30 Unlimited iPhone Data Plan? (Update: For a Limited Time) (9 to 5 Mac)
- Verizon to Charge $20 a Month for iPhone Tethering (The Loop)
- Verizon: Mobile Hotspot Will Cost iPhone Customers an Extra $20/Month (iPhoneHacks)
- Verizon iPhone Wireless Hotspot to Cost an Additional $20/Month (MacRumors)
- Personal Hotspot on the Verizon iPhone? That’s an Additional $20 (Mac Stories)
- Verizon Dishes on iPhone Hotspot Pricing (Macworld)
- Verizon Will Offer iPhone Tethering for $20/2 GB (AppleTell)
- Verizon to Offer iPhone 4 With $20 Hotspot Tethering Plan (AppleInsider)
- Verizon iPhone Gains Hotspot Pricing, 2GB Data Plan (Electronista)
- Personal Hotspot for Verizon iPhone Priced at $20 for 2 GB (TUAW)
- Verizon Backpedals on Unlimited iPhone Data (The Register)
- Everything You Need to Know About the Verizon iPhone and Making the Switch [Explainer] (Life Hacker)
- Verizon Reveals Details on iPhone Wi-Fi Personal Hotspot Pricing (The iPhone Blog)
- Verizon Sees Stronger 2011 Results, Touts iPhone (Reuters) (Yahoo)
- Verizon Promises Smooth iPhone Launch (Mercury News)
- Verizon Promises Smooth iPhone Launch (AP) (Yahoo)
- Verizon iPhone 4 Customers Required to Buy Unlimited Data Plan (AppModo)
- Verizon Will Offer Only $30 Unlimited Data Plan for iPhone 4 Users (AppleInsider)
- Verizon Confirms iPhone Unlimited Data Plans; Reports Lower Q4 Revenues (mocoNews)
- Verizon Posts Strong Quarter Before iPhone Lands (into Mobile)